Ethiopian Sambusa with lentils Recipe
July 11, 2013 Cooking
Author Notes: I remember when I was a child my mom used to teach me how to make sambusa. They were flavorful. I am sharing the recipe because I want everybody out there to have a tasty snack when they just want something simple. I also remember my mom making it around 4:00 and me and my siblings eating it all up with tea. I hope you enjoy this recipe for Ethiopian sambusa.
- 3 cups of puy lentils
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup of onion finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- TYJ Spring Roll Pastry 10″ (250mm x 250mm) (wrappers)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil and add lentils. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the lentils are soft, about 20 minutes. At the end add jalapeno pepper, cilantro and salt.
- Meanwhile in a large pan over medium high, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic . Sauté until soft and slightly brown, about 5 minutes or so. Add the spices and adjust according to taste.
- When the lentils are done, drain any excess liquid and stir them into the mixture. Combine well and allow to cool slightly.
- Set up a work area with the filling, wrappers . Also fill a small dish of water mixed with flour and have that nearby. Cut the TJY Spring Roll Pastry into three sections . Working one at a time, take a wrapper and generously dampen the edge of the wrapper by dipping your fingers in the dish of water mixed with flour. Mound one heaping teaspoon of filling on the wrapper. Close the wrapper so that it’s now a semi-circle. Pinch the edge tightly . Repeat until you run out of filling or wrappers. Turn on your stove and have a pot ready with 1/2 liter for frying.
- Turn on your stove and have a pot ready with 1/2 liter for frying.
- Once your oil is hot enough put in the sambusas until golden brown. DO NOT OVERLOAD POT. When putting the sambusas in oil make sure the sambusas have sunk inside the pot and are not floating.
- After sambusas are golden brown put them on a paper towel and leave it there for five minutes or until most of the grease is soaked. Make sure it is not hot before taking a bite. After that you are ready to serve with hot tea.